Student Work Placement Program
The Student Work Placement program connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
This Canada-wide program is a three-year initiative that gives 400 post-secondary students experience navigating the future of work in high-demand fields. Students will have the opportunity to develop hands-on skills while working with high-growth ventures for an intensive work placement.
The winter cohort will begin in January 2019.
- Become part of the MaRS talent pipeline
- Find employment in MaRS’ four sectors: Health, Energy & Environment, Finance & Commerce, and Work & Learning
- Be better prepared to secure higher earnings and lower unemployment upon graduation
- Develop and showcase the technical skills and mindsets for growth (for example, strategic thinking, problem solving and teamwork) that employers are hiring for
Who can apply?
To foster a diverse and inclusive workplace, we’ll be focusing on attracting students of all ages from underrepresented groups, including female STEM students, students with disabilities, recent immigrants, Indigenous youth and first-year students.
Scaling ventures and corporations are encouraged to hire students through the Student Work Placement program. If interested, your organization must offer a minimum 12-week placement and hire students that have never been employees of your organization.
To qualify for the program, students must be:
- enrolled in full-time studies with an eligible Canadian post-secondary education institution;
- studying in fields related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics and/or business;
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person to whom refugee protected has been conferred; and
- legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
In addition to work placements, students will be guided through a MaRS-designed curriculum that will help them build the skills and mindsets required for success in a fast-paced work environment, preparing students for the future of work.
How do students apply to the program?
Student applications for winter placements are now open. Applications will be accepted until November 9 at 12:00 p.m. (noon). Visit this page regularly for new opportunities.
Why was the program developed?
Multiple stakeholders identified a disconnect between the demands of employers and the skills students have when they graduate from post-secondary education institutions. This results in a skills gap where employers have difficulty finding employees with the relevant skills. It also creates an experience gap where the skills that students learn become irrelevant when they enter the workforce.
The program is designed to combat this by providing work experience with scaling ventures and large corporations in key growth sectors.
WINTER 2019 POSITIONS
Giatec Scientific Inc.
Javelin Sports Inc
Kraken Robotic Systems Inc.
MaRS Catalyst Fund
Pranga & Co.
Tri Innovations Consulting Ltd.
For more information on the program, please visit the Government of Canada’s website.